The Curragh Golf Club
Curragh, County Kildare
Tel : +353 (0)45 441238
The Curragh Golf Club, founded in 1883, has the oldest Golf Course in Ireland dating from 1852. The Curragh, a plain of over 4,700 acres, is owned by the Department of Defence. It is renowned for housing the biggest military installation, and for having a unique natural grass sward, which is conducive to being the home of the Irish Race Horse Industry.
In 1851 David Ritchie came to Ireland from his native Edinburgh, where he had been a member of the ancient golf club at Musselburgh (founded 1774). On his death in 1910 it was reported that he claimed 'to be the oldest golfer in Ireland, as he had ample proof of playing with the late Mr. Alexander Love on links he organised on the Curragh in the early 1850's. In 1852 the Earl of Eglington, who was British Lord Lieutenant of Ireland and founder Captain of Prestwick Golf Club (1851), played on the Curragh. On 12th March 1883 the Irish Times newspaper carried the following announcement: 'Maj. Gen. Fraser, V.C., C.B Commanding the Curragh Brigade, has sanctioned the formation of a garrison golf club. The Rules of the Club will be the same as those of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club, St.Andrews.' Membership was confined to Officers of the Curragh British Garrison and there was neither an entry fee or subscription. By 1889 the course was eighteen holes and affiliated to the Golfing Union of Ireland. On 24th September 1910 the title 'Royal' was conferred on the Curragh Golf Club, a title, though not normally used, is still valid.
The Curragh Golf Club continues to maintain a tradition of military and civilian participation in the management of it's affairs. The Club centenary in 1983 was marked by the presence of the Captains of the Royal & Ancient, Royal Musselburgh and Prestwick, all of which have historic connections with the Curragh.
The Club has approx. 1,000 members, of all categories, of which 650 men and women enjoy full membership. Visitors are most welcome.
Dublin - Cork/Limerick motorway exit for Newbridge interchange. Left exit at roundabout then right at the first junction (Lumville). Signposted from the motorway.
Information herein provided by the club 26 Aug 1998.
|Course Name: Curragh Holes: 18 Yardage: 6035 SSS: 71|
Military requirements over the years demanded that the course be changed many times. Barracks, parade grounds and firing ranges stand where there were fairways and greens. The Club continues to play over this historic area of the Curragh plains which encompasses trenches dug by soldiers preparing for the First World War, a Cavalry Camp and the Abattoir (demolished in 1996) which dated back to the year of the Curragh Camp's foundation in 1885. The Curragh Camp was handed over by the British Army to the Irish Defence Forces on 16th May 1922.
For an appreciation and independent view of this course please see golfer reviews.
press here for The Curragh Golf Club course reviews