Dungarvan Golf Club
Tel : +353 (0)58 43310 Fax : +353 (0)58 44113
Golf first came to Dungarvan in 1892 on the initiative of a group of local people. Dennis Cassidy, who later became a well-known professional in Castletroy designed the course on the Cunnigar, a sandy spit of land in Dungarvan Bay. Access was by rowing boat only and as the crossing is tidal this presented not inconsiderable problems. Bounded by water on both sides, the fairways were long and narrow and as the name (Coinigear) suggests the balls in an Alice in Wonderland fashion kept disappearing down rabbit holes. However, the pioneer battled on, built a pavilion of sorts and enjoyed the game for years until 1928, by which time erosion by the sea and the hazards of some storm tossed crossings, to say nothing of balls vanishing down rabbit holes decided the members that the time had come to move, and look for a more suitable location for their club.
The club moved to Clonea where they leased farmland from 1929-38 which was adjacent to the Ocean View Hotel (now Clonea Strand Hotel). Eventually 60 acres from the Stephenson Estate in Ballinacourty were leased for 30 years 1939-93. The course was designed by Cpt. R Hewson, and opened for play on 23rd of April 1939. However a fire destroyed the clubhouse, but due to the growing membership and expectations of a large number of players, the Committee plans were to move and were lucky to purchase land across the road from Ballinacourty.
This 128 acre site was purchased in 1991. A championship course with lakes and man made hazards, wonderful views both of the mountains, woods and Dungarvan bay, and crowning it all is a magnificent clubhouse, designed by John Santry, built by Cyril Healy and Son. We played our first competition there on the 18th June and proved most popular with both members and visitors. We have a flourishing membership of gents, ladies and juniors and the future looks bright. So there you have it, after all our wandering, we look forward to many happy years of golf at Knocknagranagh.
4km east of Dungarvan on Route N25 to Waterford / Rosslare. Ferry service :-Rosslare 2 hrs drive; Airport:-Waterford regional 30 mins drive, Cork 60 mins.
Information herein provided by the club 10 Feb 1999.
Club and trolley hire available. Catering facilities.
Email - email@example.com
For more information on Dungarvan Golf Club see www.du ngarvangolfclub.com
|Course Name: Dungarvan Holes: 18 Yardage: 6785 SSS: 73|
|Dungarvan designed by Fives Enterprise (Dublin Ltd) is a testing Championship parkland course, set against the backdrop of the Comeragh Mountains, and lies adjacent to Dungarvan bay.
One of the oldest sporting clubs in Dungarvan (established and affiliated to GUI in 1924)
The Championship standard course was professionally designed and enjoys Blue Flag status in the Bord Failte 'Golfer's Guide to Ireland'.
This par 72 Championship course which measures 6785 yards for gents and 5,505 yards for ladies (par 74) has been architecturally designed with seven lakes and man made hazards strategically placed to challenge all levels of golfer.
Since 1993, the development of the course has been foremost in the forward planning of the club, and much has been achieved with extensions to and building new tees, providing internal roadways, stonefacing the boundary wall at the entrance, elimination of bend on public road at rear of 11th. The provision of trenching and pipe work over an extended area of 80,000 square metres on fairways, combined with a top dressing of sand approx. 6 No layers of sand, each layer approx. 8 mm in depth. The latter action should ensure the course is playable over the entire year.A major drainage project was carried out to ensure all year round play. The putting greens are considered among the best in Ireland.
For an appreciation and independent view of this course please see golfer reviews.
press here for Dungarvan Golf Club course reviews