Longniddry Golf Club
Longniddry, Lothian EH32 0NL
Tel : +44 (0)1875 852141 Fax : +44 (0)1875 853371
Longniddry Golf Club lies at the western end of a chain of famous East Lothian course which included North Berwick, Muirfield and Gullane. Mary Queen of Scots played in the vicinity after the death of Darnley in 1567, but the course was not built until the 11th Earl of Wemyss engaged Henry S Colt to design and build the course. The club opened in 1922 and is parkland in a links setting, with no par 5 holes (for men) but with testing par 4's.
The club lies on the shores of the Firth of Forth, with superb views over the Forth to Fife, and up to the famous Forth Bridges to the west. Visitors are assured of a warm welcome.
Located on the edge of Longniddry Village, 12 miles east of Edinburgh city centre. From A1, take B6363 on A198 to Longniddry Village. Club at bottom of the road.
Information herein provided by the club 19 Sept 1998.
|Course Name: Longniddry Holes: 18 Yardage: 6186 SSS: 70|
|The Earl of Wemyss and March invited HS Colt to design and build the course at Longniddry. Many thousands trees were removed to allow for construction. Originally more of a 'links' nature, the course has been re-designed by James Braid and Mackenzie Ross and is more of a parkland course. No par 5's, long par 4's with - unusually, a SSS of 2 over par., which reflects the degree of difficulty. Treelined fairways at the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 10th. Large greens, often 'crowns' greens, considered as good as any in the area. The 17th and 18th holes are a tough finish if the west wind is blowing.
press here for Longniddry Golf Club course reviews